We all know that asbestos was once a miracle material and used extensively throughout industry. Use curtailed after health concerns became public knowledge but use continued causing significant exposure to many working people over the last 50 years.
The problem remains that you only truly know how this exposure has affected you, when you have a diagnosis. For too many working people, that diagnosis means a very limited remaining lifespan.
This can mean great changes taking place in a persons remaining time, a scary experience for both them, their dependents and loved ones.
It will only be with time, that the full legacy of asbestos will be known. This is when the true cost of the use of this so called "miracle material" will come to light.
A RETIRED electrician died of cancer after coming into contact with asbestos in his working life. Winchester Coroner’s Court heard how Robert Payne, from Testwood Lane in Totton, worked at a tar distillery in Totton in the 1960s. At the time, Mr Payne, who died aged 69, worked in a boiler room which had a boiler and pipes lagged with asbestos. One of his jobs was to install copper cables which involved mixing asbestos powder. In in a past statement he said he would spend a lot of time with laggers who were covered in asbestos. In 1967 he started working in a factory where he also came into contact with the substance. Mr Payne developed a cough which was later diagnosed as mesothelioma in October 2014. He later died at Countess Mountbatten Hospice on January 22.